The vast majority of accidents are preventable

On Behalf of | Sep 22, 2018 | Auto Accident

There is no doubt that many car accidents are caused by a human error of some sort. For instance, a previous post talked about a serious auto accident in the area that was apparently the result of a driver error at an intersection. Speeding, inattentiveness, drowsiness and distraction are other common types of mistakes that lead to serious accidents.

What some in the Kansas City area might not realize is exactly how many accidents are probably better described as preventable mistakes on the part of at least one driver. According to at least one piece of research, 94 percent of all car collision can be attributed to some sort of human mistake, whereas the remaining 6 percent are truly unavoidable accidents.

This means that if a resident of the Kansas City area gets hurt in a car accident, chances are that someone is legally responsible for that accident.

While the statistics did not break down how often a driver was responsible for his or her own injuries as opposed to being the victim of someone else’s mistake, an injured victim of an accident should always at least ask whether it is possible that someone else’s negligence caused or contributed to their injuries.

If the answer to this question is yes, then they should consider exploring their legal options with a personal injury attorney. After all, even if a person eventually recovers fully from an accident, they incur medical bills in the range of six figures and be out of work for weeks while they recover.

Additionally, a person also suffers emotional and other losses in the course of an accident which, while harder to quantify, are nonetheless real and deserving of recognition.


FindLaw Network