Personal Injury Trial Attorneys Since 1952

  1. Home
  2.  » Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


In the moments following a serious accident, you may be left with many questions. Norton & Spencer, P.C., has practiced personal injury law since 1952. Our attorneys have seen anything and everything, and are always available to provide answers to your most difficult legal challenges.

Below are some answers to our most commonly asked questions. For personalized counsel unique to your situation, contact our Kansas City office for a free initial consultation by calling 866-251-5423.

How much does a personal injury attorney cost?

There are no upfront costs to a personal injury lawyer, and when you work with Norton & Spencer, P.C., we don’t get paid until we recover compensation for your injuries. If we fail, you don’t pay us a dime. If we succeed, our fees are set as a percentage of the compensation we secure — so there is virtually no risk to get started.

How much is my case worth? What forms of compensation am I entitled to?

Every case is unique, and requires us to take a thorough evaluation before offering a dollar value. What we can promise, however, is that we will fight tirelessly for every penny you deserve following your accident. This includes compensation for:

  • Medical treatment and rehabilitation
  • Lost wages
  • Decrease in earning potential
  • Expenses caused by temporary or permanent disability
  • Property damage
  • Pain and suffering
  • Death expenses, if you have lost a loved one

What is “comparative fault” in Missouri?

Missouri has a “comparative fault” system in personal injury cases, meaning you only receive a portion of your compensation dependent on how much fault you had in the injury yourself. For example, if the judge determines that an auto accident was 25 percent your fault for speeding prior to the collision, you may lose out on 25 percent of your reward. Even if you are 95 percent at fault, you can still fight for that remaining 5 percent of your reward.

This means that your attorney has to be able to prove two points in your case. First, they have to show how much money you need. Second, they have to show that you had minimal fault in the accident.

What happens if I’m injured in a hit-and-run accident?

Hit-and-run accidents are much like accidents caused by an uninsured motorist. Rather than work with the other driver’s insurance company, you will be working with your own, and taking advantage of your uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.

Missouri drivers are required to have at least $25,000 in uninsured motorist coverage, but we strongly recommend you have more in place to cover these kinds of incidents. The amount you can recover is often dependent on your insurance policy.

How should I pay for my medical expenses following my accident?

Always seek treatment as you normally would, with your usual health insurance policy. Any expenses you are charged for this medical treatment can be recovered as part of your personal injury reward, so be sure to maintain careful records of the billing.